Monday, April 11, 2005

Verona-Bologna-Florence

Today is my third, and last day in Florence. I realize that I have made comments in the past to many of you about how much I dislike Florence (I think "Italian Disneyland" might have been the term I used), but I'd like to officially change that opinion. My last trip here was spent either rushing around or in lines, and I've found it a major relief to not have to bother with the "A" level attractions. There are other museums than the Uffizi (I'll see three of them today), and certainly plenty more churches than Il Duomo.

I really hated how the city seemed overrun with tourists last time, but being here on my own now it seems like a bit of a plus. Americans certainly seem to travel a lot, particularly those from California and New York.

It is absolutely freezing here--bone-crushingly, wear-a-down-jacket-and-mittens sort of weather. My trip through Bologna was quite brief because of this--I climbed to the top of their famous Torre degli Asinelli, was pelted with hail, took cover in San Petronio chruch, inhailed a delicious bowl of pesto pasta, and ran for the train. It's hard to wander and appreciate the sites when you're a popsicle. I'm hoping for better weather soon, but am adjusting the itinerary a bit to let it warm up before I get to the Amalfi Coast. Today: Florence and Siena. Tomorrow: Siena to San Gigigamo, then either Florence for the night, Assisi (unlikely, it's pretty far out of the way and doesn't have cheap lodging), or Naples (I city I planned to skip, but the archaeology museum is sounding like something I should do before Paestum). I suppose it's nice to have options.

A few notes on the people I've been meeting: we Americans certainly are an outgoing group. I've found it incredibly easy to make casual acquaintances, something I'm not great at in real life. The majority of people in hostels, male and female, are traveling alone. Most so far seem to be quite a bit younger than me--I feel a bit old. I've met three Bay Area people, including Jennifer from Oakland who sends her best to Kendra.

No comments: