Friday, April 01, 2005

The Grand Tour

Nothing ever quite works out as you expect it to, right? My year in France doesn't seem to be in the cards (visa and other problems), so I'm heading out tomorrow on a three month visa and plan to make the most of it. My itinerary follows--I'll post frequent updates on what I actually manage to do, so be sure to check back. I've drawn inspiration and tips from several books that I highly recommend you check out before your next trip abroad:

1. The Innocents Abroad, Mark Twain, description of travels through Europe and the Holy Land in 1867.
2. The Royal Road to Romance, Richard Halliburton, description of travels through Europe and the Far East in the 1920s. [thanks to Lisa Bach for this recommendation--I was lucky enough to find a 1st edition for $1.75 in Bend, OR. You can also find a reissued edition, though I'm not sure it includes the pictures featured in the earlier one.]
3. Neither Here Nor There, Bill Bryson, description of travels through Europe in 1992.

All are excellent in and of themselves, but as a set provide a really interesting view of the region over time. Let me know if you know of any others I should read.

The itinerary:

4/6
Leave Paris 10:28 pm, night train to Milan (arrive 7:10 am)

4/7
day in Milan, Night: Como

4/8
Train: Como-Milan-Verona
VERONA--2N

4/10
Train: Verona-Bologna (stop for lunch/sightseeing)-Florence
FIRENZE--3N

4/11
Day trip to Urbino if possible, otherwise extra day in Florence

4/13
Train: Florence-Herculeum-Sorrento

4/14
Bus/Boat: Sorrento-Capri (spend the day)-Positano

4/15
Positano (lunch), hike between Amalfi towns, night train to Salerno

4/16
Day trip from Salerno: Paestum (am)
Train: Salerno-Rome
ROME--4N

Sightsee with the Texas branch of the Baggerman clan 4/16-4/19

4/20
Train: Rome-Assisi
Assisi-2N

4/22
Train: Assisi-Siena

4/23
Train: Siena-San Gimignano (spend the day)-Siena

4/24
Train: Siena-Pisa (tower and church)-Cinque Terra
Stay in Manarolo-2N

4/26
Train: Cinque Terra-Milan-Venice (arrive afternoon)

4/27
Night Train: Venice-Budapest
Budapest-3N

4/30
Train: Budapest-Prague
Prague-2N

5/2
Night train: Prague-Amsterdam, arrive am on 5/3
Amsterdam-1N

5/4
Train: Amsterdam-London
London--3N

5/7
Train: London-Paris
Paris--5N

5/12
Night train: Paris-Munich

5/13
Arrive Munich--1N, join Elese Veeh.

5/14
Train: Munich-Vienna
Vienna—3N

5/17
Train: Vienna-Hallstatt--2N

5/19
Train: Hallstatt-Salzberg-2N

5/21:
Train: Salzberg-Fussen (Neushwanstein Castle)--1N

5/22:
Train: Fussen-Bern [1N, leave 5/23 pm]

5/23:
Train: Bern-Barcelona [night train, 11 hours]
Barcelona--3N

5/27
Night train to Granada
Granada--2N

5/30
Tarifa, with day trip to Tangier-2N

6/1
Ronda and/or Arco--2N

6/3
Sevilla--3N

6/6
Toledo--2N

6/8
Madrid--3N
Elese departs 6/9 am.

6/11
Night train to Paris

6/14-21
South of France, hiking Crusade Trail segment

6/28
Fly: Paris-Boston

1 comment:

alicia said...

Good point! The itinerary is definitely flexible. I have names of hostels in all the places I'm staying, but I didn't book anything so that I'd have the option of changing plans. I'm keeping London quick because I plan to take an Ireland/Britain tour at some other point, ideally with a car and someone to share the driving.