Sunday, May 28, 2006

There's a Fungus Amongst Us

My favorite thing about the house I live in? The meyer lemon tree in the back yard. It's huge and ridiculously productive--I have lemons year round. Hundreds of them.

I also have a white fly problem, ants all over the tree, and the leaves have an unslightly mold/fungus substance on them. I've done a little research into the issue, and knew that three things would need to be done:
1) prune the tree properly
2) consult the experts about how to get rid of the fungus and flies
3) likely spray something toxic.

I've pruned this tree before--a thorough job takes 5 or 6 hours. It's painful.

But...you're viewing a picture of the pruned, sprayed (with non-toxic materials) tree! You see all those lemons? That's after we removed 5 shopping bags full of fruit. What a tree. I'm making preserved lemons, lemon granita, and lemon bars today.

No comments: