Sunday, May 08, 2005

London 1


"I'm with the band"

These are Hayden's french friends. From the left: Manu, Clement, Eric, and Matt. I really like this picture, and it is quite representative of how much of our time in London was spent--on the tube. Just how far under the city is the tube? The escalator rides went on forever.

Traveling with friends was a big change from the past few weeks. I loved having the company, and at the same time was a bit overwhelmed by the level of coordination needed to move six people. Hayden and I stayed in Knightsbridge (a fancy shopping/residential district) with friends Russ and Karin. Karin used to be Hayden's sister's boss, and was transferred to London a few years ago. Russ and Karin are both interesting, kind people with impeccable taste. It was a great change from the hostels I've been staying in!

The boys stayed in Blackfriar, right near the Tate Modern. We spent the first day (which was sunny and warm) outside, wandering through numerous shopping districts (avoid Oxford Street at all costs--the crowds are awful), markets, and Hyde Park. I ate fish and chips for lunch--an entire fish, fried whole. Delicious.

No comments: