Thursday, January 13, 2005

More books...

Hayden and I are still in Boston, working out plans for the next few weeks. I'm flying back to San Francisco on Wednesday, and will continue on from there for a brief vacation in Mexico City with Jessica, Hayden's sister. We're looking for a place to sublet for the month of February--email me if you know of anything. After that, we'll FINALLY move to Paris!

I've nearly exhausted the new releases section at the library, and am looking for some good recommendations. The latest books:

The Jane Austen Book Club: one of those incredibly popular novels that doesn't quite live up to the hype. The author does have a firm grasp on Austen's works, and generates some interesting discussions about the characters and plot lines. The book's characters, however, fail to come to life. They're a bit to broadly sketched, and hard to relate to.

Paris to the Moon: a collection of essays from New Yorker writer Adam Gopnik. Many interesting bits about the modern life of the expat. Too much information, in fact: from child rearing to politics to soccer to labor unions, there's something for everyone, but few can be interested in all of it. I found myself skimming sections towards the end.

I am Charlotte Simmons: I love Tom Wolfe's writing, but this, like all the reviews say, is one of his weakest books. The first 500 pages or so I convinced myself that it was "good enough"--a bit out of touch, perhaps, but still full of Wolfe's usual charm. While he didn't succeed in creating a believable college-age character or environment, he clearly put a lot of effort and research into the attempt. What tipped the scales for me, however, was Charlotte--no matter how hard you try, you just can't like her, and it's painful to read a book this long about someone this cold and artificial.

Little Earthquakes: The latest best-seller from Jennifer Weiner, author of Good in Bed (which I didn't like at all, but decided to give her another chance). This is definitely chic lit, but it's well-written, entertaining, and thought provoking. Nothing groundbreaking, but a decent book.

No comments: